Heidi's Chocolate Dipped Meringues
- 4 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- Pinch of cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
- Your choice of food coloring
- 6 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons canola oil or pure vegetable shortening
- Heat oven to 175°
Line four baking sheets w/parchment paper
Fill a medium saucepan one-quarter full with water
Over medium heat bring water to a simmer
- Combine egg whites, sugar, and cream of tartar in metal bowl, place over saucepan, and turn off heat
Whisk constantly until sugar is dissolved and whites are warm to the touch (about 3-31/2 min).
Test by rubbing between your fingers
- Transfer to an electric mixer.
Using whisk attachment, whip, starting on low speed and gradually increasing to high until soft peaks form
(about 5 min)
Add almond extract and just a few drops of food coloring.
Continue beating until stiff peaks form
- Fill a piping bag fitted with a 1/2 inch tip, with the meringue
Pipe 1/4- to 1-inch kisses onto one of the baking sheets
After each kiss is piped, release from squeezing, and pull straight up with the bag to create the very fine curled tip on each kiss.
Bake until hard to the touch but not browned (about 2 - 2.5 hours or overnight)
- Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl, stirring occasionally.
Sir in the oil or shortening until well combined.
Dip the bottom of each cooled meringue kiss into the melted chocolate, and let harden, or just freeze on parchment paper for 5 minutes.
Serve and enjoy!