Shrub Summer Soda
Looking for a great, easy way to enjoy your U-Pick berries all summer long? Dive in to the world of shrubbing! Learn how to make a shrub and enjoy your blackberry and raspberry shrubs in a summer soda or cocktail to keep you cool all summer long!
Don't forget to send us photos of your creations for us to share on our social media!
- Ice to fill a glass
- 2 tablespoons raspberry shrub vinegar (see recipe below)
- 12-16 ounces sparkling water
- A few sprigs of fresh mint
- 4-6 fresh raspberries optional garnish
Fill glass with ice, pour raspberry vinegar over the ice cubes and fill the glass with the sparkling water. Stir, and top with the mint and raspberries. Enjoy!
What is a Shrub?
Shrubs have been around long before modern refrigerators and are having a trendy come-back in the cocktail world. A shrub is a ancient method of preserving your fruit with sugar and vinegar and a great way to make summer fruit last beyond their picking. It uses equal parts fruit and sugar and optional vinegar. Don't worry, the tanginess of the vinegar subsides overtime. Add the shrub syrup to any soda to make a summer beverage to keep you cool through the hot days!
Make a Shrub
- 2 - 6 ounce raspberries
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups white vinegar or balsamic vinegar (we experimented with both!)
- Combine raspberries and sugar in a glass bowl or lidded container. Stir to combine.
- Cover and refrigerate for 2-5 days. Use a fine mesh sieve and strain out all raspberry solids. Discard solids.
- Mix raspberry mixture with vinegar and stir well. Transfer to a 1 quart mason jar and keep refrigerated.